Jake Kiley is the lead guitarist, and chief facemelter, for one of my all-time favorite bands: Strung Out. I’m almost loath to do a full writeup here because if you’re here, you’re likely well-acquainted with Strung Out’s work, but because he gave me some insights I wasn’t necessarily expecting, here are a few bullets of things we talked about (not in order of appearance in the show):
- Jake ranks his Top 5 Strung Out albums.
- The economics of touring, how not to be a burned out rockstar who has all your money stolen from you, and what the new 3rd revenue stream is while on tour
- How Strung Out got hooked up with Lucky Luke Brewing and what beers they’ve made together.
- How to stay up on a huge back catalog and stay in shape to play a physically punishing style of music several nights a week.
- Why they’ve (both) stayed with Fat Wreck Chords for their entire career and why they’ve sometimes felt like the label’s black sheep.
There’s a ton here. Jake was incredibly generous with his time, very effusive in his responses to my questions, and just a super cool guy to chat with. You’re going to dig this conversation. I certainly did.